Wednesday 17 July 2013

A Rather Long Short Story 4



For a fraction of a moment she took notice of me and I felt out of the place occupying the seat in the front row. Perhaps she understood my embarrassment and graciously looked away. The moment the singing stopped the choir children became impatient to get away from the scrutiny and criticism of the coach and the audience, though to my tired nerves their performance was more than what I could rate. Their coach was in no mind to let them slip out so soon. She began to give her lengthy opinion on how some children can’t remain still and composed while rehearsing. That was the time I realized that my presence in the front row was going to invite the hostility of the children and the censure of their teacher. The hymn was definitely over and I did not want the coach’s dissonant voice to break the spell the children’s singing had cast upon me. I got up hastily and left the hall.

Outside on the street the things were far more difficult than when I had stepped inside the hall. It was raining harder. I put on my raincoat and crossed the street and found refuge in a coffee-shop. It was my first visit to that shop and while I was looking for the coat-stand around, the matronly looking owner of the shop gave me a look as if she would have preferred a customer with a drier appearance. Not to give her offence, I took as much care as I could to see that my dripping raincoat made as little mess as possible.

As I sat down at my table with my tray of coffee and cinnamon toast I saw the young lady at the choir entering in and taking off her coat. I noticed that she was not alone. She was accompanied by an elderly looking lady and a little impish-looking guy who was probably her younger brother. They occupied a table not far away from me and fortunately I was able to get an unobstructed view of the entire party. The boy was about five and was in no mood to obey anyone. He started looking around with curiosity to discover some vulnerable target at which he could direct his mischief. Before giving him an opportunity to decide that I could be his potential target, I hastily put on my patent “keep away at safe distance or I know how to tackle brats like you” kind of look. Luckily, they had not noticed yet me watching them.

As they settled down at their table, the boy set about annoying his companions very methodically, giving me an instant insight into the kind of tricks he had mastered rather well. He started rocking in his chair in the most irritating manner, acting as if he was going to pull down the table with the table-cloth and all. The elderly lady advised him once or twice to sit straight but it was only when his sister admonished him in a stern voice that he stuck the small of his back to the chair, but in the meanwhile he dropped the napkin on the floor, picked it up neatly and spread it over his head and sat balancing it dexterously. She did not go to the counter to get their tea. It was brought to them by the waitress.

While they were in the process of pouring tea into their cups, she noticed me suddenly and gave me the same indifferent look with which she had regarded me at the choir-practice.  

No comments:

Post a Comment