Thursday 20 November 2014

A Breath of Freedom

A Breath of Freedom



Wish it were a blank sheet
of paper virgin white
and I could write
my story all in a different light.
The sad songs would not be frowned upon;
neither would the timber of the life be drowned
 nor would the losses and defeats be crowned.
Wish it were not a lonesome song to be sung alone.
Piles of paper lay before
and I loaned them to the alien scribe,
and they paid me to sing their ballads
as I dug the grave for my own demise.
I made my deities out of the clay and rags
hidden in the nooks and corners of the darkness of my heart
and like the dolls of childhood
stowed them away
to be sunned and refreshed at a later day.
A voice that was heard and was destined to be heard
when I was least aware that there was a spring throbbing in me,
woke me up to a different day.
There are words I still cannot speak, a language that I still not dare to learn;
But I breathe a fresh air, and my breath, suspended between the moment gone and the one to come,
is the breath of freedom.
   

2 comments: