Friday 26 December 2014

The In-dweller



The In-dweller

Where are you hiding, my in-dweller?
When you talked fervently of time running out on both of us,
when the shadows of the impending dark
had already begun to quiver in your voice,
I was singing in the joy of finding you here.
The joy I was as yet unfamiliar with,
the joy I had just begun to see with disbelief,
its reality too fragile and brittle to hold
even when I touched it with frail dew-covered gloves,
that joy still floating with this fragrance of the open sky and the sea;
I wanted to hold on to it as long as i could.

How would I know that the evening was the last one !
True..As i recall, you were desperate to make me see the truth
of how precarious our hold was
on that something which was a strange serendipity
which had brought us face to face, and was to stay with us only as long as the evening remained.

I know, it broke you to wreck that seemingly steady foothold in the sand.

The tide was waiting and the storm was raging
and I did not read the signs in the dark
of the gorge of the ocean that sent you signals not to linger any longer, looking for the saving spark.

Your ocean and the sky called you back; your ship was ready to embark upon.
You knew where you were heading to go,
and I in my yearning to hold you back
could not read the script writ so large
in the words that were meant to be 'Farewell'.

In this dense overgrowth of trees
I do not know where to look for you,
where to leave a message for you
that you might read,
written on the waters and the shifting sands.

You made me understand as never before
how irredeemable a loss can be
of something you could never call your own.

Tomorrow, a new day will dawn;
and I will hear nothing but silence
that reverberates
through all the sounds the ocean makes.
 This is the song of a nameless being
without any attributes to mark it by,
a song of anonymity.

No comments:

Post a Comment