Monday 2 March 2015

The Heron and the Sea



The Heron and the Sea
The heron and the fury of the raging sea
And the sky overcast with a neutral grey,
Made the image of the frail bird stay
The whole of that foggy and windy day.
Much was being flung at the frail bird
In a celestial wrath
At the heron in the tempest of a hostile wind.
I saw the waves lashing against the craggy shores,
And the heron, an image of stillness sculpted in ice,
Standing on a rock with drooping wings and a sunken beak,
A forlorn image, a solitary thing,
Watching its fate being written
On the waves and being washed away
Before the scroll could be held and read.
The heron in that moment was closest
To the truth of my being:
Both humbled by the severe wave
When the tide is high and the wind is shrill,
Both struck by the brutality of the silent doom
Of hunger when the hunger is for what they do not need,
Having lost the taste for what the ocean brings
And hurls at their feet indifferently;
A hunger that needs the cleverness of tongue to justify what the soul needs.
The difference is that for the heron
The hunger of its flesh and bones
Is still the need of the body’s vital wind,
While I, the human, gone far beyond
The limits of what once was a forgotten creed,
But now a devastating need
Of my spirit, and the begetting of a seed
For a hunger for more,
A hunger for what my pragmatic self says I do not need—
An encounter with a heron standing in the wind
Has brought my myth
Into a sudden light of the ancient shores
Where I must have lived and died.
The heron freezes, and it will live;
I will survive
Only to die in a loss of wing.

No comments:

Post a Comment