Friday 8 May 2015

The Solitary Swan


The Solitary Swan

O frigid bird that broke its wing ,
was the tirade in the wind too strong
for you to carry your song
on your light, wispy wing
and brave the wind and fly?
Or were you simply tired
of being left behind?
The lagging behind was neither a weakness of your wing
nor the fault of your mind and heart.
Sometimes the wonders of the sea,
the mystery of the land
hold you back.
Sometimes the nostalgia of the lives spent
on islands no birds have lived in before,
make you want to feel the stories
still living in the sands and the waves of time.
Nothing holds you back except your choice.
The land and the sky and the sea
are forever thine,
yours to make your nesting place
and yours to leave behind.

4 comments:

  1. "The land and the sky and the sea
    are forever thine,
    yours to make your nesting place
    and yours to leave behind.+
    ... very beautiful words Sushama... all of it. I don't know for sure if it's sad or happy... I guess it depends on how you feel about the meaning of nostalgia.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your writing Sushama.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nostalgia is nostalgic because it's good, Anna. It is happy.
    A good friend you are, deep, perceptive.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Sushama... I'm glad you reminded me that nostalgia is a good thing. :) The mood I was in when I read your words... I don't know why, but I was leaning toward sadness... thinking about being left behind. But you did say it was a choice... like I said, it was just my mood this morning. Really, really lovely writing my friend. Exceptional... I was so touched by it.

    ReplyDelete