Sunday 20 September 2015

Characters From A Jacobean Drama

CHARACTERS FROM A JACOBEAN DRAMA
Why such a frozen look
on a summer morn?
All the bevy of red roses around
like a burning bush 'are bent on setting afire
the heart of the night
for the one last song  for the lilac sky!

The fat ladies playing dice in the attic
have gone to sleep.
The chessboards have no clue
as to the move the master is planning next.
And the barmaids too will never wake
to the sound the rooster is going to make.

You my lady of the Jacobean stage,
The curtain has fallen long back
on the winter of discontent.

The Lady Speaks :
back in the obscurity of ordinary life,
they may call it a summer morn
which may never look back upon me
Those who wanted to carry the memory his touch
have to carry his torch too.
And that's no ordinary task.
i carry the fatal mark
on my person dear,
the garden path is not for me,
nor do the roses warm up for me.
The Jacobean drama was silenced long ago. I know not this path
where the only light is the one I carry; and i have to keep it burning for those behind;
a capricious torch that may burn out soon
if the hostile wind turns against all the legacy he left behind;
And this legacy and lunacy all alike,
are never going to leave me in peace



 

3 comments: