Thursday 28 December 2017

Coldness and Cruelty & Venus in Furs / Deleuze.

**** originally shared:
“The theory of thought is like painting: it needs that revolution which took art from representation to abstraction. This is the aim of a theory of thought without image.”  (Difference and Repetition / Deleuze)

Masochism: Coldness and Cruelty & Venus in Furs / Deleuze.


Why Deleuze? Deleuze is noticeably reticent on the subject of his personal life, preferring to let his words speak for themselves and cordoning off his affective response: “But what do you know about me, given that I believe in secrecy, that is, in the power of falsity, rather than in representing things in a way that manifests a lamentable faith in accuracy and truth? [. . .] [L]ike anyone else I make my inner journeys that I can only measure by my emotions, and express very obliquely and circuitously in what I write” (“Letter” 11). Further, he dismisses the intellectual activity of biographical speculation by saying, “Academics’  lives are seldom interesting” (“On Philosophy” 137). In his own way, Deleuze argues for the death of the author. Yet, for all of his desire to distance himself from the biographical, Deleuze remains an important theorist for considering embodiment and the fleshiness of living. (A. Musser)

No comments:

Post a Comment