Saturday 26 March 2016

The Land Is Widowed

THE LAND IS WIDOWED
A long way to go
in very small steps
and while in a corner of the globe the farm lands crack
for droughts
in another corner the land is scorched by fire and cannon.
Here, I do not own the land
I borrow loans to cultivate a piece of land I do not own.
Droughts, no crops for three consecutive years,
loans , more loans and the interest kills, then a marriage in the family
and I have to spend when there is not a penny to send my child to school.
I borrow another big sum which I know I can't repay.
And then the country liquor, my last refuge.

And the rest of the story is told by the widow.
"One day he drowned himself and I could get no help from the government
because on autopsy report he was found heavily drunk when he drowned himself and died.

The land is widowed.

No comments:

Post a Comment