Tuesday 26 July 2016

A Rather Long Short Story Installment 16

As they settled around the table Emma saw the quick glance that came from me and rested for a moment on her empty wrist where the watch used to be. But she did not seem to be in a mood to encourage questions. I sensed that a lot had happened silently which both of us were not prepared to acknowledge. Signs of sleepless nights were written rather deeply under her eyes. I was touched. I was touched by the raw simplicity and the guileless nature of the phenomenon of love. In my heart I silently prayed that God , whoever he was, may ward off all the ominous storms of love from this inexperienced, candid young girl, and let me alone be the bearer of the torment of the passion.
We sat for a while without saying anything, Emma and me glancing at each other surreptitiously once or twice and Charles amusing himself watching the people occupying the other tables.
The question on my mind was not just the watch. There were a lot of things which could have been said, which were struggling to find a way, but which were better left unsaid.
Emma looked at me with a note of apology in her eyes. She knew. Then she looked at her empty wrist.
I went to the counter and returned with coffee and muffins for the three of us. Emma looked at me and tried to smile as she picked up the coffee from the tray.
"How was the day?" I asked.
"Routine!" she said.
Then Emma said a bit hesitantly," I will finish high school this year."
I looked at her carefully and asked, "What are you planning to do then? A career in music, or university education?"
She kept staring at the flow of traffic outside and after a moment's silence ventured to say, "I don't know. Everything is unplanned as yet."
I remembered how passionate she was about pursuing her lessons in piano when she had talked to me in our first meeting.
Then she said capriciously and abruptly, " I might as well get married." 
    

No comments:

Post a Comment