Tuesday 2 January 2018

An Empty Frame

An Empty Frame

Far away in a land of dreams,
or perhaps really seen in a dream
at the end of the desert's fringe
I saw a tantalizing dome,
some shrine clearly exposed to the naked eye of one who could see,
and the amazing thing was the hypnotic spell with which it drew
me to cross the entire stretch of the desert land to reach the gate before the sun went down behind the hill.
Nothing seemed unfamiliar in that desert wind as it blew on me and the walls.
There in the temple sat a solitary priest who seemed to know all about me.
There, near the corner of the wall, I saw a pair of glasses, my own glasses I was looking for.
"Are these mine?" I asked.
"Who else could they belong to?" he replied.
I picked them up, with an unknown thrill.
As I stepped out and looked at them,
they had no lenses, just an empty frame.


Image courtesy: Ulysses Without Ithaca 
the ephemeral vision of absolute
j

No comments:

Post a Comment