Friday 12 April 2019

The Moon-child

THE MOON_CHILD

THE MOON CHILD FALLEN IN THE POND

One moon was sailing across the sky
while I was looking at the pond.
Ripples swished and the wind whistled
and the island of bamboo sang.
I looked closely at the moon
rolling and swerving from end to end
in the babbling ripples of the pond.
I stooped dangerously close to the edge
of the pond to pick up the fallen moon.
I brushed apart the willows and reached for the darling moon.
It suddenly jumped up and splashed over
all the wonders of the waters at me.
Just as I felt I had caught
the moon by its wet water-soaked robe
it gave me a smile and danced.
I am no moon my dear; the one you are looking for
is sailing across the sky
far from the world where you and I
are wading through waters and the sand filled land, a far cry
from the world where you and I belong.
Let it sail across the cloud, across the sky.
Tonight it is full, and tonight will not last long.
Small the hours, long the journey, let that moon sail away.,
Far away till the break of the day.
Beautiful moon!

1 comment: