Sunday 26 January 2020


I saw once a boat
parked in the sand;
the name of its owner was carved on its bark.
The boat which once was a tree.
The waters had left a mark
below where the name was carved.
A name a mark of identity.
I felt the body of that silent boat
when the sun went down and the moon arose.
The sand below my feet
was damp and warm still.
and a boat upturned, lying in the sand.
The briny sand stuck to my feet, lingered on the tongue
and bit my skin,
a stinging sand
and the whistling wind,
and I sat in the sand
leaning against the moist bark of the boat that once was a tree.
I listened to the wind and the body of the boat
whose master was far from the shore,
somewhere fast asleep.
And then it started to rain,
a tropical rain on a darkening shore.
I got to go I said.
I 'll come again tomorrow to the same place
hoping to hear the tales of the boat.
Sushama Karnik (c)
26 June 2016

No comments:

Post a Comment