Thursday 23 January 2020

The call Of The Sea

THE CALL OF THE SEA
Every road leads somewhere.
There ought to be somewhere they meet.
Mountains ahead, deserts to cross,
but oh, this grain of sand!
It does not cease to bite.
When am I to cross the desert, climb the mountains,
flow with the river and reach
the bay where roars the sea?
The fascinating, deep , surging sea,
where I drop my language and learn to sing,
give up all effort to translate the song,
where the sonorous silence rising from my depth
finds its echo in the sea.
The deserts of sands never glimpsed the sea,
and yet the prayers from the mosque strike the appointed time;
remind me of my tryst with the sea.
The ceaseless humming, the droning of an infinite number of bees,
surround my heart,
 and stir
memories stored in the depth of the sea.
Wherever I happen to be on earth,
wherever wake up, wherever sleep,
the call of the sea has to reach.
The hounds of heaven, the call of the tides, rising and falling,
when I face thee, O Ocean,
I can grasp at nothing, nor let go.

Sushama Karnik (c)



Image received via +Souheil Ghammachi 

No comments:

Post a Comment