Tuesday 2 January 2024

The Images in a Mirror flickr.com Look at your face in the Mirror... ; Opens a new tab Photo by Nika Fadul on flickr |Poems to pondes

 IMAGES IN A MIRROR

When my candle burns to the end
I stand before the mirror
and wait for you
with another candle, brighter
because it shines in a mirror.
You come at my command
I lean towards you.
you towards me.
We challenge,
stare, neither in wonder, nor in surprise.
We test the tenacity, endurance,
a battle not for power.
We both know the futility of power.
what is it we want?
A war of attrition?
I am as much living in a mirror as you behind that glossy panel.
Why do we want to correct each other
when we are simultaneously right or wrong?
I cannot prise open the glass mirror
without breaking it into shards,
nor can you enter my world
without walking over the shards
We are both unreal, you to me and I to you
Images in a mirror.
Sushama Karnik
Apr 15, 2017
The poem is self-reflexive. It is addressed to me and me alone.

No comments:

Post a Comment