Sunday 12 November 2017

Can The Doughnuts...

Can the Doughnut be Whole Without the Hole?

A Doughnut, I think,
is the best of the tropes
for all the philosophical ambiguities.
the centre of  a fatty circumference, an empty  greed
a dot, a speck, then empty space
widening and pushing its stubborn boundaries without breaking
the soft, luscious insides of its heart.
the greater the greed , the greater the widening of the circumference,
and equally greater
the postponement of pleasure.
And that is the metaphor for Aesthetics.
I think Kant would envy
the bite into that elusive Beauty.
And now with that formidable problem of definition
we are steering into the domain of dissatisfaction.
My doughnut is waiting impatiently on the platter
for me to be done with the definition.
But there I go; my weakness for definitions
is far greater than that for the doughnut on the plate.
How do we define that empty space?
"A blank space, or an entity unto itself?
A zero, a nihilistic zero , or the infinite zero of infinite
entities and possibilities?
And my dear little doughnut is looking pathetically small in the trappings of metaphysical uncertainty.
Is it the absence of presence,
or an eternal presence that we habitually ignore in familiarity?
And I forgot that there is Alice sitting and staring at me,
one eye scanning my perplexity and the other fixed on the platter
sneaking up to it for a greater proximity.
By the time I give up my scuffle with philosophy
the appetite is flagged and gone.
I offer the single unique undefined gastronomic delight to beloved Alice with equanimity.
Alice sits glumly, face averted, a staunch refusal to look at me!
I don't give up so easily.To all my exhortations
she finally responds.
Dipping her finger into the empty heart of the sweet nothing,
she says, "This, give me this; the hole at the heart of the void,
the void that's not the doughnut.

No comments:

Post a Comment