Monday 26 July 2021

 Emma's Story. Part 2. Chapter 5.

 I pulled a chair and positioned it  between the chairs of Emma and Charles as we all sat around the table. Emma now sat down and looked at me as I fumbled for words and  simultaneously tried to guess her mood. I made a feeble attempt not to look grim.. 

Emma understood. "Will you be leaving for India?" She asked, not suddenly but unceremoniously.

I said," Yes.. "  And I glanced at Charles. His eyes dilated. He was not ready to reconcile with the idea of parting so soon.. In the meantime Emma got up quietly and went to the counter. I saw her coming back with the tray of coffee and sandwiches. 

While she was at the counter I asked Charles, "Any new quiz for me today?" He fished out a sketchbook from his schoolbag. He had drawn three figures, a tall man, and the other two, a skinny girl holding a book aloft, and a boy , his mouth wide open, in a laughter perhaps, dancing, throwing his hands up. Behind them were drawn horizontal, wavy lines which was most likely the sea, and vertical lines which were like the tall masts of boats. 

"What is this? I mean who are they?" I asked. "Guess",  he said, looking minutely at his own creation.  You have to answer", he said, giving me a challenging look. I pretended not to have understood. He said, "This is Emma and this is me." 

"And who is the third figure?" I asked. And I was really puzzled. "This is the quiz. You have to answer", he said.

 I pulled a blank face and said, " I give up!!!" I knew very well that was what he wanted to hear. He pouted his mouth and nodded his head up and down. Then looked at me and giggled. Then said triumphantly, " That is you!". 


  

No comments:

Post a Comment